Brewer Distiller I
This position is responsible for all aspects of wort/wash, green beer, dry-hopped, fruited, and brite beer production, as well as distillation of gin, rum, whiskey, vodka, and other spirits, from wash and diluted bulk spirit. The position will also be required to clean all tanks and associated equipment.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Receiving, inventory, and storing raw materials and products (Verification of condition/quantity)
- Dry hop (both automated and manual) and fruit beers in fermenters
- Learn and train from Standard Operating Procedures
- Operate filter and centrifuge for beer clarification
- Sample tanks for gravity, pH, CO2/DO levels, yeast cell counts, and document all actions taken or changes occurring with a beer. Harvest and handle yeast
- CIP and manual cleaning of all tanks and equipment. Perform periodic maintenance to assist the Maintenance Manager
- Operate Brewhouse for wort and wash production
- Safely distill spirits from bulk spirit or wash
- Blend and flavor spirit-based beverages
- Small-scale packaging of spirits
- Interact with taproom staff and customers professionally
- Drive forklift
Problem-Solving – Identifies and resolves problems promptly; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; and commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan or seeks assistance.
Education and/or Experience
Degree, diploma, or certificate of completion from an accredited brewing school, science-based degree (Chemistry, Biology, Engineering), or two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Familiar with MS Windows operating systems and MS Office applications. At a minimum, intermediate-level skills in Excel and Word. Experience with Orchestrated Beer is a plus.
Ability to read and effectively interpret documents and manuals. Ability to draft routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively communicate with customers or employees.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as totals and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
This job operates indoors/outdoors in varying weather conditions and temperatures.
The position will be required to work in the warehouse environment for ingredient loading and movement and to facilitate shipment activities. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to lift 55 lbs. as required
- Must travel up and down 45 steps as required
- Must be able to use both hands and arms in a full range of motion
- Must have good hand and eye coordination skills
- Must be able to work around moving equipment and hazardous chemicals.
- Must be able to speak, hear and smell
- The employee is consistently required to walk, balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must always be able to repeatedly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and consistently lift and/or move up to 55 pounds. The employee must be able to work consistently in a standing position for long periods.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Full-time regular hourly position with shifts scheduled according to the operational business needs. Day, evening, and weekend work are required as job duties demand.
This position requires 0% travel
Required Education and Experience
Degree, diploma, or certificate of completion from an accredited brewing or distilling school, science-based degree (Chemistry, Biology, Engineering), or two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Complete online application and assessment
- Pass pre-employment screening
- Valid current CA Driver License
- Present current DMV Driver Vehicle Report
Shift Lead, Head Brewer, and Brewmaster
$23.50 – $26.00 per hour
Dust Bowl Brewing Co. offers compensation packages including comprehensive Healthcare, Voluntary Life Insurance, 5 paid holidays, 5 days of paid sick leave, a 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company match, and full-time brewers receive monthly gift cards with $100 to spend in our taproom after your 90-day introductory period. Once the brewery card is exhausted, employees receive a 25% discount on alcohol, food served in the location-specific taproom(s), to-go beer, or Dust Bowl merch.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.